The secret to great marinara sauce, or so I am told not being Italian myself, is to slow cook it until it turns slightly orange, which takes between 2.5 and 3 hours. I tried it while on vacation in Italy and got rave reviews!
Serves: 4 to 6
Time: about 3 hours
- 1 yellow onion
- ¼ clove of garlic
- 8 ripe roma tomatoes
- 1 large tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 bunch oregano
- 1 bunch rosemary
- Olive oil
- 3 pinches of Salt
- 4 grinds of fresh black pepper
- 2 sprinkles of white pepper
- Mince the garlic and chop the onions into 1 inch squares for a chunky texture
- Place a deep sauce pot on medium high heat, add two swirls of olive oil and then the garlic and onion until they brown (3 to 4 minutes)
- Slice the tomatoes into about 4 slices, then halve or quarter them for a similarly chunky texture. Add the tomatoes & crushed tomatoes to the mixture, along with the herbs and spices.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for hours. Check periodically, adding a bit of water and more salt and pepper to your taste. Once the sauce begins to turn slightly orange, remove it. This should be around 2 hours and 45 minutes, give or take 15 minutes.
Enjoy with pasta or Sardinian Fregula with Sea Bass & Mussels
Adelma (that’s me cooking in a funny apron with a poofy black flower in Sarda)