I’m on a kale kick again after reading a new playful new cookbook, Fifty Shades of Kale.
Inspired, I wanted something massaged for softness with a sweet and spicy flavor. This recipe uses a spicy aioli combined with another superfood, sweet potato, for a touch of sweetness.
Before we get cooking, I like a bit of background. Today I thought I’d share exactly why kale is good for us. It’s a superfood, packed with a rich array of nutrients including:
- Fiber which is filling, good for the gut and helps stabilize blood sugar.
- A decent amount of protein (2.2 grams) to keep you going.
- Vitamin K, A, C and Manganese which is good for bone health, anemia and nutrition absorption.
- A good source of omega 3 fatty acids that protect against disease for vegans.
Note: if you are on anti-blood clotting medication, please check with your pharmacist or doctor about eating kale.
- 1 bunch of curly kale, organic if you can
- 2 TBS spicy habanero aioli OR substitute 2 TBS mayonnaise and 1 tsp habenero hot sauce
- 1 medium size sweet potato, baked
- Optional: Moroccan lentils, cooked.
1. Remove all of the stalks by pulling the leaves off the center stalk. Pull or chop the kale into small bits.
2. Add 2 TBS aioli or the substitution.
3. As mentioned before, the trick to a raw kale salad is to massage the kale with a fat like mayonnaise or yogurt which breaks down the fibers into a richer, more flavorful dish. Massage the aioli into the kale with your hands. Really get in there until each leaf is coated and softened. You can see the difference in the image above and below.
4. Cut the sweet potato into half inch squares and toss into the salad.Optional: add 1 cup of cooked Moroccan Lentils. Recipe to come soon!
5. Voila! Enjoy.