Go ahead, snack! Eating every 3 to 4 hours keeps you energized and focused. It also helps avoid “hanger” (hungry-anger), brain fog and ravenous hunger followed by overeating and feeling gross.
The key is to snack smart. A snack with protein, fat and fiber that is substantial, say 250-350 calories, provides the body with real nutrition that can keep you going for 3 hours or more. This formula will make you feel full so you don’t keep reaching for more mindlessly.
Skip anything fried, sugary treats including fruit alone and simple carbohydrates like pretzels, which the body breaks down into sugar very quickly.
Be prepared. Don’t get stuck with nothing but that same plate of cookies you have had 100 times before. Buy these at home or order them online and bring them to work with you each week so you don’t even have to think about it.
Try these smart snacks for energy at work if you like:
• Pair fruit with a Kind Bar. These all-natural bars are a cut above the rest. They come in both spicy (Cashew & Ginger Spice), Sweet (Fruit & Nut) and Chocolate (Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt) options. GMO free, most are also low sugar and allergy friendly but check individual labels to be sure. Link.
• Nut butter and celery. I like Justin’s Classic Almond Butter (GF, non GMO, K, Vegan, DF) You can order a 10 pack of single serving pouches online. Link
Slightly Sweet & Chewy
• Power Snack by Navitas, made from super foods like chia seeds, gogi berries, cocoa and maca powder. With 8 servings per bag they are perfect for stashing in your desk. Just don’t eat too many servings as they can have a laxative effect. (Organic, DF, GF, No Refined Sugar, Raw, Vegan). Link.
• Pair plain full fat Greek yogurt with a banana or an apple. I like Fage.
• Hummus and carrots. Try Abrahams All Natural Hummus. Link.
• Lentil Soup with Lentil Crackers. Try Progresso.
• Salsa with Lentil Crackers Try Mediterranean Snacks. GF, Non GMO